“Nicola’s materials are accessible, well resourced and ideally suited for use in the classroom. We have used activities from the Brain Sticks resource with our S3 (Year 10) pupils to help with our work on wellbeing and study skills. The Flourish activity helped pupils understand the different ways to support a healthy brain and resulted in lots of engaging discussion as pupils discussed their own daily routines and the small changes that could boost their brain. The Stroop activity was a quick and fun way to test their brains and, again, resulted in reflection and discussion about how their brains work. We plan to incorporate more of the Brain Sticks activities into our Citizenship (PSE) programme to help develop more discussion around healthy brains, managing stress and wellbeing.” George Heriot’s School, Edinburgh
“Absolutely loving the resource!” A school in the Rep of Ireland.
“…your amazing BRAINSTICKS resources …. what leaps & bounds we’ve made in terms of supporting pupils’ wellbeing & stress/anxiety reduction!” Helen Keevil, Assistant Head in charge of Pupil Welfare at Epsom College.
“Brain Sticks is an indispensable resource. As a guidance counsellor I have used it in so many different ways; with individuals, small groups and full classes. Nicola speaks to students in a way that just clicks with them!!” Colaiste na hinse, County Meath
Brain Sticks come with a FREE pdf of my book Know Your Brain and a selection of full-colour posters and signed postcards. On one smart USB stick, you have a vast set of teaching materials, which you can use with every class, forever. STOP PRESS: Free book offer with every UK order till the end of October – see HERE.
What are Brain Sticks™?
Here’s a short slideshow to explain.
Or click this link: Introducing Brain Sticks
A Brain Stick is a USB stick containing a huge set of classroom resources. Expert content, exceptional value, hugely flexible; most activities are classroom-ready. Topics include: how your brain learns and how to make it learn better; fascinating facts about the brain; nutrition; sleep; teenage brain changes; the good and bad of stress and stress strategies. The target age is the whole of secondary school and it would also work well for the last year of primary school.
For Primary schools who wish to buy a slightly cheaper licence, omitting the specifically teenage material, see here.
I’m the author of Blame My Brain, Know Your Brain, The Teenage Guide to Stress, The Teenage Guide to Friends, Positively Teenage, The Teenage Guide to Life Online (as well as many other books) and am often called on by the BBC, local government and educational organisations for my expertise. My work is fully international and I speak in schools all around the world. Brain Sticks are perfect wherever you are – and much cheaper than asking me to visit!
The Whole-School multi-user licence lets you copy all materials (well over 100 classroom activities) onto every computer and print everything as often as you like, for ever – for use on one premises only.
Are you a self-employed individual who wishes to use the materials in various schools/groups? You need a single-user licence. You can use it in an unlimited number of schools but may not leave the materials (even as electronic files) in a school and only you may teach the materials. For details, see LICENCE here.
The cost of a perpetual whole-school or self-employed single-user licence is £130.
- In the National Curriculum, addresses key concepts in KS2-3 Science, KS4-5 Psychology, KS2-5 PSHE and the Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning
- In Scottish Curriculum for Excellence, addresses Biological Systems and Health and Wellbeing
- Also designed to be used in any English-speaking school anywhere in the world
- A brilliant resource for activity weeks, National Science Week and other extra-curricular provision
- Extensive notes, ideas and classroom-ready activities (well over 100 ideas in one pdf document)
Simple to use
Stored on a USB memory stick in a smart box. No special knowledge required.
Brain Sticks™ contain:
- Four simple animated films, each between 7 and 10 minutes long:
- Your Amazing Brain – fascinating facts, including how we grow neural connections and learn
- Make Your Brain FLOURISH – including food, sleep and exercise
- Your Special Teenage Brain – the science behind teenage behaviour
- Tackling Teenage Stress – a practical look at the stresses teenagers face
- One PowerPoint, with sound – roughly 15 mins – on teenage brain and stress
- A relaxation audio for all students to download
- Other PowerPoint presentations to support the activities
- Printable materials:
- Well over 100 classroom-ready activities and ideas in one pdf document
- Booklets for pupils to support the whole set of materials
- Display handouts on sleep, stress and exams
- Recipes for brain-fuelling snacks – including the famous Brain Cake
- Other documents, such as diaries (sleep and reading) and quizzes
Feedback from Cheltenham College:
“We have been delighted with the Brain Sticks material. It is adaptable in a great variety of ways; is useful for staff inset, as well as part of our well being programme helping the pupils to understand how they can ensure their mental health is as positive as possible. The level of detail is perfect; it is not superficial, but equally it is eminently understandable for a 14 year old. We can see a multitude of uses for the materials.”
Feedback from George Heriot’s School, Edinburgh:
“Nicola’s materials are accessible, well resourced and ideally suited for use in the classroom. We have used activities from the Brain Sticks resource with our S3 (Year 10) pupils to help with our work on wellbeing and study skills. The Flourish activity helped pupils understand the different ways to support a healthy brain and resulted in lots of engaging discussion as pupils discussed their own daily routines and the small changes that could boost their brain. The Stroop activity was a quick and fun way to test their brains and, again, resulted in reflection and discussion about how their brains work. We plan to incorporate more of the Brain Sticks activities into our Citizenship (PSE) programme to help develop more discussion around healthy brains, managing stress and wellbeing.”
Any questions? Ask me!
Do you want a simple course dedicated to teaching stress skills? Stress Well is a perfect complete course in educating about and managing stress. You might also be interested in Exam Attack, a simple ebook for exam students, now available with a whole-school licence so you can share it with every student, year after year..