My school events are not cheap. This is partly because tremendous effort and preparation goes into them, partly because they usually involve a lot of travelling, and partly because I’m an expert and spend many hours honing that expertise and keeping up to date. But I’ve been looking at whether I can also offer something lower cost while still valuing the effort I put in and the unique nature of my events. I have the solution!
With publication in May of Positively Teenage, which I am VERY excited about – even the cover makes me feel sunny! – I am adding off-the-peg Positively Teenage events, which will cost a baseline price of £285 (plus half travel costs). That is a huge bargain, believe me. See below for how to make sure your proposed events fits the baseline model. Also see BONUSES FOR YOU for a great package of … BONUSES FOR YOU.
How to fit the baseline price model:
- Team with a nearby school which would have me in the other half of the same day. So, one school in the morning and the other in the afternoon. (Each school pays £285 and half travel.) There must be two sessions in the day.
- OR ask me to do the talk twice in your school to two different audiences – then you would pay £540 plus full travel costs. I’d also be happy to chat to a self-selecting group of pupils, eg a reading group or wellbeing group, at lunchtime (as long as I also get some time for lunch and peace!).
- Location is important: I live just South of Rutland and can get a train from Peterborough or Corby from about 8am or drive if not more than 1.5 hours each way. I’d need not to leave home earlier than 7am or return later than 9pm. In practice, this means: London and anywhere within an hour of London by train; East Midlands; East Anglia, Norfolk, Herts; Doncaster; Birmingham and West Midlands at a push; possibly even York and Durham, if you can be clever with the time-table.
- Create a time-table without either vast gaps of wasted time or events squashed together with no breather. Ideal is late morning and early afternoon. You don’t have to give me lunch!
- Year 6, 7 or 8, or combination; any numbers, though I think they gain more if not too many.
- I’m happy to do a combined event with a visiting school(s), or to go to a venue such as a theatre or public library, if you organise it.
- A Positively Teenage event only, with no “Can you add something about…?” requests
- Interactive, positive, informative and aiming to get the students coming away thinking, “Yes! Being a teenager is exciting and now I know how to look after my physical and mental health!” This is not an event about stress and problems, but how to live proactively and positively, how to “flourish”.
- I would need projector set-up.
- I would supply teaching notes (2-4 A4 pages) with some ideas to prepare the audience best – you would need to commit to doing your best to prepare the students.
- I would supply 2-4 activity sheets which I would ask you to print for the sessions and students would need paper and pen/pencils.
- No jumping through hoops to be paid – no form-filling or requests from your accounts dept. See my T&C here.
Book-selling? If I don’t sell books, it affects my ability to stay published. I’m happy to supply books or you can use your local or preferred supplier. Normally, I don’t make book-selling a condition but I actually think your students will get most out of it if they have the option, so it is factored into the baseline agreement. I will never do a hard sell but I do need to know if book-selling will be a problem for you.
If you want to extend the baseline model – note that these figures are guidelines only:
- If you wanted me to travel further, and therefore get home later or leave home earlier, or stay overnight, this would add to the cost – typically £200 for an overnight stay (plus actual costs).
- If you wanted me to add a parent evening (my usual topics of understanding teenagers/wellbeing etc), I can do this as long as there is a break between it and the student session(s) – depending on the timing, this would usually be an extra £350 (if I’m doing two PT events in the day) or £450 (if I’m doing one PT session in the day), if I can reasonably get home that evening.
Bonuses for you!
Each school (both schools if I’m doing two in one day) booking a PT event will receive:
- A free BRAIN STICK – worth £130, a vast, reusable set of resources about brains and wellbeing
- TWO copies of the book, Positively Teenage, sent in advance of the event so that you can prepare students and staff
- The teachers’ notes I mentioned above
- A couple of printed posters for the school library
- A digital poster advertising the event
- A selection of signed postcards with good luck messages for students
I will only be able to offer a limited number of these events so don’t delay in making an enquiry. I have a lot of bookings already this year so only have a few spaces in the Summer term and then we will be looking at Autumn. Do get in touch if you want to make a provisional booking.
NOTE 1: this would be ACE for an activity for Y6 about to go up into secondary school and I have one or two free dates towards the end of May, especially for LONDON SCHOOLS.
NOTE 2: These prices are introductory and, as I say, limited. I can only do a few each year like this. Don’t delay! Make the most of my excitement about this book! I AM VERY EXCITED!
NOTE 3: I may also do something off-the-peg for The Teenage Guide to Life Online, which comes out in June, but I haven’t worked out whether I can yet. Likely to be more expensive because a tougher gig. And I don’t think there’ll be time before the Autumn, but do enquire.
NOTE 4: Some school librarians who live too far away have been on my mind. So I’m dreaming up some kind of fun activity/competition/promotion/giveaway. Watch this space 🙂
Spread the word! I’m usually putting my prices up, not down, but…I’m very excited…