These Terms become active once we have agreed that the event is taking place. At that point, I send you an agreement form to sign, which will have the details we have agreed.
- If I cancel, neither fee nor expenses will be charged. Exceptions would be if I felt forced to cancel because you had prohibitively changed the details of the event.
- If I am prevented from reaching you by weather, strikes or other incident outside my control, I would not charge my fee but you would reimburse me for all pre-booked costs. We would both do our best to reschedule if possible.
- If you cancel a firm booking more than six calendar weeks before the event, half the fee is payable and all incurred expenses must be reimbursed.
- If you cancel under six weeks before the event, full fee is payable, plus incurred expenses.
- Please ensure your finance department does not deduct tax. I am registered self-employed (since 1985) and pay all my taxes. Self-employed people pay tax in advance, many months before earning it, so it is a problem if we are wrongly taxed at source. If this happens, I would pass on to you my accountant’s fees for rectifying this.
- My HMRC tax reference (UTR) and NI numbers will be on my invoice, with my postal address and phone number. HMRC does not require me to provide any other information to prove my self-employed status and if your finance department asks me to fill in any forms a) I would make an admin charge (at least £75) and b) I reserve the right to refuse to give information that I regard as intrusive. If I am asked to do this after you’ve signed the booking form, I reserve the right to pull out of the event and you would be liable for any pre-booked travel costs. (This is a very unlikely situation but easy to avoid!)
- If you wish me to include any extra information on the invoice, such as a Purchase Order number, please tell me on the agreement form. Any correspondence (or resending an invoice because I was not given the information) in order for me to receive payment may incur an admin charge.
- I am happy to be paid by cheque or BACS. Details for both will be on my invoice. I will send you my invoice and receipts for expenses after the event.
- Payment terms are 30 days from invoice but if this doesn’t suit you are welcome to request a different time-scale; just let me know in advance, otherwise I will be entitled to add a late payment charge, which will be whichever is greater of 10% or £50 pcm or part.
- Non-UK payments must be received in GBP sterling as the full amount invoiced.
Public Liability Insurance and CRB/Disclosure
- I have PL insurance with the Society of Authors, with a cover of £5mill. Please contact the SoA if you wish to confirm.
- Note that a condition of all such insurance is that an author is never left alone with pupils.
- Authors visiting a particular school on an irregular basis are not required to have any CRB, DBS or similar disclosure document.
Recording and filming
- Please ask. I usually give permission for extracts to be filmed/recorded, with a right of veto, but generally don’t give permission for a whole talk to be filmed/recorded. Photos are fine but it helps to be asked. I would need to see any photos before you used them.
- Students must have all recording devices and cameras switched off and out of sight. They should not take photos without permission from me.
I am very much looking forward to working with you. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if anything is unclear.