These Terms become active once we have agreed that the event is taking place. At that point, I send you an agreement form to sign, which will have the details we have agreed.
- If I cancel, neither fee nor expenses will be charged, unless I felt forced to cancel because you had prohibitively changed the details of the event.
- If I am unavoidably prevented from reaching you by weather or travel-related incident outside my control, I would not charge my fee, including for all work done in preparation, but you would reimburse me for all pre-booked costs except any I successfully claim from the train/flight company. (This is because I book in advance in order to get a cheap deal for you; if you prefer, I am happy to buy tickets on the day, but this is likely to make the journey significantly more expensive. Please tell me well in advance if you wish this.)
- If you cancel a firm booking more than six calendar weeks before the event, half the fee is payable and all incurred expenses must be reimbursed.
- If you cancel under six weeks before the event, full fee is payable, plus incurred expenses.
Extra terms for online events
- All above cancellation terms apply.
- If my internet connection fails or other technical difficulty at my end prevents the event taking place adequately, I would waive my fee as long as we could rearrange to another date.
- If your internet connection fails or other technical difficulty at your end prevents the event taking place adequately, I would require full payment but I would also rearrange another date at no charge.
- No recording or screenshots unless by prior agreement.
- Please ensure your finance department does not deduct tax. I am registered as self-employed (since 1985) and pay all my taxes. Self-employed people pay some tax in advance, many months before earning it, so it is very difficult if we are wrongly taxed at source. If this happens, I would have to pass on to you my accountant’s substantial fees for rectifying this.
- My HMRC tax reference (UTR) and NI numbers will be on my invoice, with my postal address and phone number. HMRC does not require me to provide any other information to prove my self-employed status and if your finance department asks me to fill in any forms a) I would make an admin charge (usually £75) and b) I reserve the right to refuse to give information that I regard as personal or intrusive.
- If you wish me to include any other specific information, such as a Purchase Order number, on my invoice, please tell me in advance Any correspondence (or resending an invoice because I was not given the information) in order for me to receive payment may incur an admin charge, typically £75, again at my sole discretion
- I am happy to be paid by cheque or BACS. Details for both will be on my invoice, which I will send after the event.
- Payment terms are 30 days from invoice, but if this doesn’t suit your system you are welcome to request a different time-scale; however, do let me know – for example by adding a note to your signature below, otherwise I may add a late payment supplement, whichever is greater of 10% or £50 pcm or part thereof.
- Non-UK payments must be received in GBP sterling as the full amount invoiced.
Public Liability Insurance and CRB/Disclosure
- I have PL insurance with the Society of Authors, with a cover of £5million. I can’t provide a copy of this but please contact the SoA if you wish to confirm.
- Note that a condition of all such insurance is that an author is never left alone with pupils.
- Authors visiting a particular school on an irregular basis are not required to have any CRB, DBS or similar disclosure document.
Recording and filming
- Please ask. I usually give permission for extracts to be filmed/recorded, with a right of veto, but generally don’t give permission for a whole talk to be filmed/recorded. Photos are fine but it helps to be asked. I would need to see any photos before you used them.
Students must have all recording devices and cameras switched off and out of sight. They should not take photos without permission from me.
I am very much looking forward to working with you. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if anything is unclear.